To see some of my miniatures, miniature petitpoint, full size cross stitch and more, visit http://SnippetsfrommyStudio.blogspot.com
To follow my progress building the Greenleaf Fairfield, have a look at http://SnippetsOfMyHalfscaleFairfieldJourney.blogspot.com
To read about our 7 month trip around Australia, visit http://SandrafromSydney.blogspot.com and our short breaks away are recorded on http://SnippetsOnTheMove.blogspot.com.au
I'd love to see you there!

Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Some birthday cards - creative criticism please

It's time to start making some birthday cards. First of all, my mother's birthday is 29th January - she will be 87 this year and she is so proud of the cards that I make myself. I want to make her something pretty special if I can.

Then there are the cards for two of my groups' Birthday card exchanges the year. The first one is due 1st February. I want to do all the cards and mark the dates of the birthdays on the envelopes so I know when to post them.

I've been experimenting with birthday card designs pretty much along the same line, using my border punches, embossing folders and diecuts to get a feel for what I want to do for Mum, and to make some cards for the card exchanges as well. I am terribly slow at making them though - I do hope I speed up as I become more experienced!

I am showing them to you here even though they aren't all completed. After my back treatment today I need to go shopping (if I can manage it) for more 'bling' and bits to add to cards, as well as some more cardstock.

Okay, so #1 is navy on white, approx 6" x 4" when folded. I hope the embossed pattern on the white sheet shows up, though I'm fairly sure the little holes in the scallops around the navy circle won't. The flowers need something added in the centre.
Good heavens! What on earth has blogger done to the 'post photos' function? The photo is just showing up as the computer command, I can't see the photo itself in this draft form. YUCK!!

Plodding on. #2 is a square card, 5 1/2" each way when folded. I have made these first two based on Sketch #131 from Card Patterns. Heres' the sketch:
and here is #2 card. It is a burgundy colour on cream. The cream background is textured.

#3 uses a ready-made hot pink card, 4 1/4" x 6". I embossed the white cardstock with dots, cut the edge with a border punch, added flowers using my dies and pearls in the middle. The other pink pieces and the sentiment are also cut with dies on the Cuttlebug.

Next, #4 is another cream card with a purple cardstock. All the details including the 3-d butterflies are done on the Cuttlebug, the border is done with a border punch.
My love of blue and white is reflected in #5, a Royal Blue and white combination, again with a 3-D butterfly.

#6 still needs the writing added, and I'm not sure whether to do it in the dusty pink of the ribbon or the darker green of the border. What do you think?

And finally #7 is again on the cream square card, with a grape background overlaid with a lighter purple that is embossed with 'happy birthday' and spots. Do I need to make the words stand out more? I thought maybe coloured stones in the flowers, or clear or pearls? Suggestions please.
I think I've posted the same photo twice but don't have time to adjust it now because it is time to leave for my back treatment. Will fiddle more later but I do want your opinion.

And did you notice that the lovely banner and signature are here now too?

5 comments:

  1. Beautiful cards Sandra. I have also joined the birthday card exchange in the group and will make my own cards for it too. I love the Cuttlebug, have "googled it" but haven't decided if it's something I can't live without. Your cards have a lovely look, soft and gentle. I'm not a fan of loud, very brightly coloured cards. Looking forward to seeing some more.
    Hugs, Sandie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope you like the card I sent you for your birthday exchange 'Sandie'!
      Hugs,Sandie

      Delete
  2. Thanks Sandie for looking - I'm really pleased that you joined the birthday exchange! I do plan to do some brighter cards but since I am first planning my Mum's card I am doing these ones more to my taste - and as usual our tastes coincide as well as having the same name!
    Hugs, Sandie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Sandie
    Happy B-day! I thought I would come visit and see all your goodies. I like card #6 and I think I would go with pink for the words. I think it would really be eye catching. I am really glad to stop by. I forget to go to all the places on the internet that are so much fun to visit. I just came from the mini site and enjoyed seeing all you little houses. I need to start my Rosebud in 1/144th soon. So much to do. But I like busy. Your friend Alisa

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So pleased you came and visited Alicia, I did go for pink for the words in the end and it looks pretty good I think - I just used the word 'friend' in a circle. Glad you like the houses on the other site too! Hugs, Sandie

      Delete

It means a lot to me when you take the time to leave some feedback - thank you for your interest and for your thoughtfulness in leaving a comment .