To see some of my miniatures, miniature petitpoint, full size cross stitch and more, visit http://SnippetsfrommyStudio.blogspot.com
To follow my progress building the Greenleaf Fairfield, have a look at http://SnippetsOfMyHalfscaleFairfieldJourney.blogspot.com
To read about our 7 month trip around Australia, visit http://SandrafromSydney.blogspot.com and our short breaks away are recorded on http://SnippetsOnTheMove.blogspot.com.au
I'd love to see you there!

Tuesday, January 3, 2012

My first pages for our round-Australia trip

Albany, Western Australlia - Christmas 2009
Since this is a blog about scrapbooking, I have been hunting in my workroom and finally found a double page to show you :) Most of my pages are out of reach at the moment so I was happy to find these pages.

In 2009-2010 we went on a trip around Australia. It was 7 months and we barely skimmed the highlights around the edges! It made us realise just how huge Aus is. If you want to read a bit about it, you can see more on my travel blog http://SandrafromSydney.blogspot.com I have done it up to December 2009, but need to finish it off for the final month. But yes, Marlene - I haven't forgotten and will do so lol!

When we packed I took heaps and heaps of scrapbooking materials and equipment. The grand plan was to do pages as I went. Good plan. The first and only pages I did were these! Mainly because any time I had was taken up writing my travel journals (they filled 5 spiral bound books), writing letters to our then 5 grandchildren, my mother and brother with a selection of photos in them for their photo albums (Mum and Terry) or scrapbooks I had made (the grandchildren) and doing a set for Nathan as well and helping him make a scrapbook of our trip.

I will show you the scrapbooks I made for the children another time, though they are on the Sandra from Sydney blog.

So - here are the pages. We spent Christmas at Albany, Western Australia (pronounced Al like albatross). I love red and gold for Christmas, and you will see that I've also used my favourite poinsettia embellishments. Here's the left page:
Now for a word on how I did it, for those who are starting off. The red is Bazzil textured cardstock, which along with the gold ribbon was bought from a scrapbooking store. The ribbon is just attached at the back with some photo tabs (they are pieces of double-sided tape cut to size).

The photo is matted (in other words stuck with the photo tabs) with red cardstock, then again on gold cardstock.

I then adhered it to the red background cardstock. Once it was positioned I knew where to attach the ribbon. The poinsettias are stuck on with some more double-sided tape. Here's a close-up of the corner, showing the details of the matting around the photo as well as the corner of the page.

The word 'Christmas' is a gold sticker, and so are the little gold embellishments. It's all quite simple but also quite effective.

And here's the right page:
Again, it is using the gold ribbon, and a single poinsettia on the top corner.

I printed the journalling (that's the writing) on white vellum (from the scrapbooking store). To make sure the writing would show up I put white paper behind the vellum, then attached it to some gold cardstock with two brads - I must have run out of the dark red ones or I would have used four of them.

To add a bit of interest to the vellum I tore the edges. This is a technique I use a lot: on paper, cardstock,vellum and even photos. But not on photos that are studio or heritage ones unless I am using scanned copies!
I know you can't read the words properly but at least this close-up shows a bit more detail of the journalling. Sorry the photos didn't come out as well as I had hoped.

Next time I will show you one of the miniatures pages I scrapped while at Kylie's in September-October this year.

Hope you like this one.

post signature

3 comments:

  1. I really like the pages Sandra. You have chosen some of my favourite colours for Christmas. Did you hand write the page, if so it's beautiful. I wish my writing looked like that.
    Hugs, Sandie.

    ReplyDelete
  2. glad you like it Sandie - another way we are just so alike, we have the same favourite Christmas colours! No, it is not my handwriting, I typed it on the computer. I have imported a large number of free fonts from the internet for the purpose and installed them.
    Hugs,
    Sandie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for showing how you did this Sandra. I've only done one scrapbook - of my family history) but would really like to do more ... if I ever manage to make the time. Judith x

    ReplyDelete

It means a lot to me when you take the time to leave some feedback - thank you for your interest and for your thoughtfulness in leaving a comment .