Grace turns 9
Our oldest granddaughter Grace turned 9 on December 30th, and I made her birthday card. She liked it, although I think her mother liked it even more :) It still takes me a long time to make a card, when I am deciding how to do it. First I looked at CardPatterns (http://cardpatterns.blogspot.com) to see if I could get some inspiration. I chose this one, sketch #122 as a basis.
Gracie's favourite colour is purple, her second favourite is hot pink and she absolutely adores butterflies, so originally I planned a purple card with purple floral where the green is in the sketch, a lighter purple or mauve where the white is, white (embossed with dots) where the black is and a die-cut butterfly in the corner. Once I had the papers and card I would choose the ribbon to go with it.
Instead, since I have been ill and didn't get to the scrapbooking store, this is what I ended up with -
Gracie's favourite colour is purple, her second favourite is hot pink and she absolutely adores butterflies, so originally I planned a purple card with purple floral where the green is in the sketch, a lighter purple or mauve where the white is, white (embossed with dots) where the black is and a die-cut butterfly in the corner. Once I had the papers and card I would choose the ribbon to go with it.
Instead, since I have been ill and didn't get to the scrapbooking store, this is what I ended up with -
The white cardstock is embossed on my Cuttlebug, the pink border is punched with a Martha Stewart punch. The 3-D butterfly is done by cutting it out twice. The first time I kept all the pieces together and glued it all to the white cardstock, the second (pink) motif has the cut-outs on the wing removed and it is stuck to the purple butterfly just along the body. There are 3 rhinestone stuck along the right edge of the card.
The mauve ribbon is gauzy so I backed it with some purple cardstock before attching it to the white, then tied a bow in the ribbon and stuck that on top.
On the back I modified my usual 'made by' motif. The children call me Marnie, so I changed the 'Handmade by Sandra' to 'Handmade by Marnie' and since I hadn't printed it on the card before I made it - mainly because I didn't know how big the card would end up being - I cut it out with another die shape I have and stuck it on.
Inside I printed in purple ink. After I took this photo I also stamped a couple of butterflies, one on the top left and one on the lower right corner.
I'm really quite pleased with this design but most importantly, Gracie liked it and that's the main thing. Among the gifts for her birthday we gave her a scrapbooking album (with butterflies on the front of course), so I am looking forward to doing some scrapbooking with her - if we have a chance.
Bye till next time









A very beautiful card and no wonder your grand daughter loved it. Thanks for sharing.
ReplyDeleteHugs