The trip to the scrapbooking store yesterday was somewhat disappointing - and discouraging too. I really wanted some lovely heritage-style papers but they didn't have any vintage themed ones that appealed to me at all. Plus the cards that were on display for the card classes are so fancy that I felt embarrassed by my efforts. They are dressed up in multiple layers of papers, stickers, 3-D embellishments, bling etc as though being entered for a competition. In fact I don't know how you would even write a message on some of them - and there was certainly no room on the front to say what sort of card it was. I guess they are items of beauty rather than the sort of card you would send normally. I certainly could not afford to send that kind of card routinely as a greeting card! They sure did make my efforts look amateurish!
I had been
experimenting with red and white. Mainly because I am due to send off a birthday card to a member of one of my groups. She is Japanese, and I want a card that reflects the colours for happiness and good luck for Japanese people so I googled and came up with red and white. I also want a card that is simple (as in uncluttered and understated) and elegant, because everything Kazumi does is just that. I also looked for something at the shop to inspire me along those lines but didn't find anything for that either, although I bought some ribbons in different colours. Then when I got them home I realised that I really, really like spots and checks!
Coming home I tried out a couple more and here are some variations. First, for Kazumi:

I think that is elegant and simple - what do you think?
Then there is this one, with the background embossed with spots again, the red flourishes, and some of the new red ribbon.

I bought a set of nesting shapes at the shop, and for this next card I cut around the printed greeting (done on my computer) with the white shape then hand cut the red shadow shape behind it because the next largest is just that bit too big. The border is done with a border punch and again I've used the same satin ribbon.

So there they are. I hope Kazumi likes hers, and the other recipients like theirs too.
Coming home I tried out a couple more and here are some variations. First, for Kazumi:
I think that is elegant and simple - what do you think?
Then there is this one, with the background embossed with spots again, the red flourishes, and some of the new red ribbon.
I bought a set of nesting shapes at the shop, and for this next card I cut around the printed greeting (done on my computer) with the white shape then hand cut the red shadow shape behind it because the next largest is just that bit too big. The border is done with a border punch and again I've used the same satin ribbon.
So there they are. I hope Kazumi likes hers, and the other recipients like theirs too.







These cards are just beautiful Sandra. The red and white is very striking and Kazumi will love hers, I'm sure. Another thing we have in common is the overly cluttered look of some cards, there's no room left to write a message and they would be way too expensive for me to make. I'm also not keen on the same very busy scrap-book pages. Looking forward to more cards from you. Hugs, Sandie.
ReplyDelete