To see some of my miniatures, miniature petitpoint, full size cross stitch and more, visit http://SnippetsfrommyStudio.blogspot.com
To follow my progress building the Greenleaf Fairfield, have a look at http://SnippetsOfMyHalfscaleFairfieldJourney.blogspot.com
To read about our 7 month trip around Australia, visit http://SandrafromSydney.blogspot.com and our short breaks away are recorded on http://SnippetsOnTheMove.blogspot.com.au
I'd love to see you there!

Saturday, July 21, 2012

My first card class - what fun!

Kylie and I went to our first ever card class yesterday.  It was run by a really nice lady, Lorraine, who works for Kaiser Craft and designed the three cards we made.  It was supposed to be a two hour class but went over time - the first class took more than an hour by itself but she did all three anyway.

Here is the first card - it was specially designed to feature copic pens and to teach us blending techniques.  
Card #1
Card #1
It is the first time I have used the pens, and the reason I really wanted to do the class.  I need to expand my repertoire of techniques, as I've said before.  I bought the two sets of pens we used for the class, since they were on sale at a reduced price. And of course I also bought the transparent one, to erase any mistakes I make when going over into areas I shouldn't!  I also bought several stamps featuring the little girl in different poses with different things - flowers etc.   I didn't realise at the time that you also have to buy a specific kind of ink for the stamps and the special copic paper too.  Nothing is straightforward, is it?

The second card has parts of a zipper, and again uses several layers of paper and card on the cover. The paper used lends itself to making lots of cards, and after we went to all the trouble of cutting out the robot Lorraine told us that there was also a sheet of robot stickers available lol!
Card #2
Card #2
The inside of my card wasn't very successful - I messed up the 'happy birthday' stamp and overdid the smudging around the edges.  I loved the tool that Lorraine called 'the chopper', it punches the holes and puts the eyelets in beautifully - except that I pressed too hard for the first one and squished it somewhat.

The third card is simpler, and more practical if you are making a large number of cards because it doesn't involve so many layers.  It also used copic pens, but this time it was more straightforward, just colouring in the robot.  

Front card #3
Inside card #3
We both enjoyed the class immensely, though we felt rather rushed.  We didn't finish the cards, but brought them home to complete.  I took photos of each of them so that we knew what we had to do, and it didn't take long to finish them off at home.


We're looking forward to the next class!  And in the meantime there's lots of practise needed to improve our blending techniques.

4 comments:

  1. Lovely cards Sandie. I really like the little girl one. I've been wondering about copic pens myself. With all the fantastic things on the market now, it's hard to know just when to stop! I like using watercolor pencils and a water-filled brush and have also colored just with ordinary pencils.
    Blessings, Vicki xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think watercolour pencils are a great idea Vicki - I didn't realise that copic pens needed special ink and special paper as well, but I've embarked on that path now so I suppose I'll keep going. I'll try the watercolour pens and compare the two. And yes, it's just as easy to get totally carried away with cards as it is with minis lol! Hugs, Sandie xx

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Thank you Maria - I hope I can learn to make cards that are this delicate and beautiful by myself! This instructor is very inspiring.

      Delete

It means a lot to me when you take the time to leave some feedback - thank you for your interest and for your thoughtfulness in leaving a comment .